All of my students created a Picasso inspired project this semester.
K-1 students created Picasso's Flowers, by tracing their hands and adding green stems with markers then testing their cutting skills by creating the flowers.
2-3 students created a collage in the crazy abstract style of Picasso using cut paper and then finishing with a black paint outline.
4-5- This was the project of the year! We started by studying Picasso's Old Guitarist and then broke down the parts and drew the man together as a class. We then discussed Monochromatic color schemes and how you make tints and shades of the same color. The students had a lot of trouble with proportions when we first started this project so it took some time but i created scaled boxes which i had the students trace on their papers to then draw each body part in. The results aren't perfect but then again, what Picasso art work is?
Saturday, December 25, 2010
My K-1 kids were getting a little antsy and needed a meaningful quick project. This two day project painting monsters came after reading a short story about a monster that went to school and didn't know how to behave properly. As i read the quick story the students needed to picture the monster that went to school and think about he poor choices the monster made. After we talked about what we can and cannot do in school we started to draw our monsters, first with two circle eyes, then a large nose, big mouth and a rainbow shaped head. This was a quick easy drawing and then painting project with a good moral. The kids also loved using the crayon with the tempera cakes. One key was having the students just draw with the crayons, it eliminated the problem of having them want to erase every 2 minutes.
My 2nd grade students needed a little refresher on mixing colors, what colors are primary and secondary, what that means, and how you make them. So they created their secondary frogs. They learned how to make the secondary colors then actually blended the paint colors to create the secondary color. They then used stamped tissue paper to cut out lily pads and glue their frogs into their paper pond. Here are a few pictures of the process...,